Thursday, April 14, 2005

I want my laptop back!

I've been swamped at work lately, so poker, golf & hockey have been on the back burner. However yesterday I was able to get home at a reasonable time and the wife was at school, so it was time to fire up the old clunker in the den and go fishing on Party Poker.

I first saw that PP had started a new high hand jackpot that is not progressive, it just resets to $1,000 each time it is hit. This didn't really interest me as much as the bad beat jackpot, which I've been fortunate to be at the right table twice when it was hit.

So I sat down at a 5/10 table and played while I looked over the tourney tables. I signed up for the $9+1 Super Weekday Qualifier. This is not what I was looking for exactly, but the other option was a turbo tourney and that doesn't work well for my style of play. The 5/10 table was looking good. I won a few big pots including a one where I hit my open ended straight draw on the river to win a $200 pot. That really pissed off the guy I was heads up with after the turn. I put him on two pair and that's what he ended up having. He called me a few chioce names, most were censored by PP, but you got the flavor of what he was intending. I fired right back with nice comments, thanking him and telling how nice he was. He left about 10 hands later. I think he wanted to get into a flame war, but I cut his legs right out by being nice. That's a new one for me, the chatting part that is, not the being nice part. I next to never chat when I play online, but in this case I wanted to mess with this guy. It worked. When I left the table I was up $165.

As for the tourney, I figure my computer cost me about 1000T chips just in missed blinds. I'm not even counting the hands I might have won if I got good cards. I had to restart it 4 times during the 3 hours I played. I didn't get great cards. The one time I got pocket Queens, my preflop raise got no respect, even though I was playing tight and the flop came with an A and a K. With 4 others still in the hand, I had to let it go after someone bet 1/2 pot and another called before it even got to me. Overall, out of 400 players, I was knocked out in 55th place and only the top 22 got seats and 3 other spots got some cash.

I've actually learned a lot these last two tourneys and I'm looking forward to playing more. I think I should be able to place in one very soon. I'm getting a feel for when I can be more aggressive and seeing more spots where I can steal pots. Today and Friday don't look good for poker, so maybe I'll be able to play on Saturday morning, assuming I can't get out and play golf instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home